Sunday, March 20, 2011

DIY: cut-offs!

Hello! And happy Sunday, everyone. :)

I've been thinking about making a pair of cut-offs for a while now, and I've finally gotten around to it! This isn't a 'real' DIY, because you don't need step-by-step instructions.
but! I'll tell you how I did it anyway:

What You Need:
an old pair of blue-jeans
hem tape
scissors
a marker or pen
an iron

What to Do:
1. I took an old pair of jeans and put them on. (Now, keep in mind that most blue-jeans are tight in the thighs, so your shorts will be too. I had two old pairs of jeans to choose from, and I chose the baggier ones.)

2. Take the marker and, with the jeans still on, marked where you thik you'll  like them cut off. (If you're unsure about where to mark and cut, remember that you can always cut off more, not cut less if you cut too much.)

3. Once you've got it marked, take off your jeans and cut along the mark. Try on your jeans. If you need to cut off more, do that now.

4. Yay! Now you have a pair of cut-offs! But, if you're like me, you may be thinking, "Wow. I look like trailer trash." SO, I folded the edges up!

5. (This, of course, is optional, but it makes it really cute!) Fold up the edge of your new cut-offs and hem it with hem-tape. Then iron the edges.





sorry. pictures are a little blurry.




Yes, I know. Hem tape is cheating. But sometime's it's easier than getting out the sowing machine!

EASY = WONDERFUL :)

If you've never used hem tape before, don't worry. There are directions on the package that will tell you how to use it. Making these cut-offs was the first time I had ever used it, and it was easy-peasy! ;)

Let me know if you try these! They were so much fun to make, plus they're different!
And they fit into the "reuse" category of recycling. The pair of jeans I used have been in the family for at least 3+ years. AND they save money! Now I don't have to buy denim shorts this year!
whoo-hoo!


enjoy the warm weather! (in your new cut-offs if you can!)
:)

No comments: