Wednesday, September 21, 2011

He's got the Power

hello loves. :)
this is just a little something I wanted to share with y'all:

I'm reading the book Forgotten God, by Francis Chan. In chapter 6 it talks about how The Holy Spirit enables us to do a particular work, but we actually do the work.
People get confused about this. They wonder, "Is it me or God doing the work??" or "Who gets the credit??"

Both.

"If we never responded to God, if we never acted based on what He has done for us, there wouldn't be much of a relationship there. God is still real and moving, but at some point we have to respond and act because of what He's done...In the book of Philippians, Paul writes, 'Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose' (2:12-13). I love the apparent contradiction in this passage. Paul says in one breath, 'Work out your own salvation,' and in the next, 'It is God who works in you.' The both-ness here doesn't allow us to escape with a simple conclusion.
Yes, it is God who works in you. And, yes, there is work for you to do.
Yes, the Spirit empowers you to do the work. And, yes, you do the work.
...God is big and mysterious enough that we cannot simply put a label on this process and move on.
It requires...a Spirit-filled life today."
(excerpt from Forgotten God. Chap. 6: pg. 132-133)

I just really loved that!

Then, I open my Bible to Isaiah 49. There's some cool stuff in there from verse 1-7ish.
(of course, it's all good=understatement. i just like 1-7) :)

He made my words of judgment as sharp as a sword. He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand.
I am like a sharp arrow in his quiver.

He said to me, “You are my servant, Israel,
and you will bring me glory.”
I replied, “But my work seems so useless!
I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose.
Yet I leave it all in the Lord’s hand;
I will trust God for my reward.”


God made his (Christ's) words sharp, but Jesus spoke them.

get what Francis is trying to say??
i don't know, it just seemed to "click" with me!

I also love the ending:  I will trust God for my reward.

Even when you feel like your work is useless, know this:
If you are doing God-given, Holy-Spirit enabling work, you WILL have a reward.
That is a promise. (And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness. James 3:17-18)

I listened to a simulcast with speaker Anne Graham Lotz (yeah, you all know her!) in it. She said something that really stuck:

(paraphrasing)
"God says that when you confess your sins He is faithful to cleanse you from ALL unrighteousness. So confess your sins. And if you've done that and don't feel any different, so what!
God ALMIGHTY has SPOKEN and SAID that if you confess you will be cleansed. His Word is law and ultimate truth, no matter how you feel or what you think about your efforts."

So if the Holy-Spirit is enabling you in a certain ministry or work, don't think it's "useless" and of "no purpose".

God says its good, and worthy of a reward.
God says, "Let's work together on this one!"
God says, "I've got the power, you've got the inheritance."




so let's do this thing. :)
i just wanted to share that late-night, Bible reading, wisdom-ness that the Holy Spirit revealed to me. May grace and peace and encouragement be with you!

I love you all!


p.s.-- I don't feel as crappy! whoo-hoo! i went to the doc-in-the-box and got two shots...in my boo-tay. So, now my butt-cheeks are spazzing and having mini "charlie horses" as I type this. nope, not fun. But I'm so thankful my headache is gone!!!!

p.p.s-- happy birthday to this awesome blogger/friend!!


On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
- Revelation 19:16

No comments: