Wednesday, January 26, 2011

persistence, boldness.



ahhh, wednesday.
 i have youth tonight, school today, and CWC in the middle! It's the first class so i'm excited/nervous, but i won't be worried. my God will carry me through and give me the strength i need in every situation. i am feeling the responsibility though. "what responsibility?" you ask. Well, i carry Christ everywhere I go, people; even to a writing class where im supposed to learn for my sake and my benefit. But really, everything i do is to bring him glory. So my responsibility in this class is to be a bright light for the Lord. Even if there are no other Christians in this class (which im sure there will be), they will see Christ in me. They will see my shell acting like Christ! Everywhere i go, there is a constant battle between angels and demons for the hearts of all those around me. I try and be mindful of that everywhere i go. Someone in this class, whether i have knowledge of it or not, will encounter Christ before the four months of this class is over, God made that pretty clear last night. And I cant wait to be a light, even a single light if-need-be, for His sake!


I read something in my Bible last night that, as soon as I read it, I knew i had to share it with you. It's from Luke 11:8--
But I tell you this—though he won’t do it for friendship’s sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence.

Last night, my heart was super heavy, and even grieved, for a friend who isn't making super-great choices right now. Actually, two friends. I was so miserable for them, i didnt know what to pray. So i opened my Bible and searched for an answer to a question i couldn't quite put my finger on. (i know some people lay their Bible on its spine and let it fall and believe that wherever it lands is what they are supposed to read. I totally think God works that way. But it doesn't work for me. Anytime ive ever tried to do that, my Bible has fallen completely over, on its side, unopened. And i don't think that's God telling me not to read my Bible. :) so, i just flip and flip, for a long time, till i find my answer. :))
That's when I came to Luke 11:8. If you couldn't understand the verse, maybe the commentary will help:
"Persistence, or boldness, in prayer overcomes our insensitivity, not God's. To practice persistence does more to change our heart and mind than his, and it helps us understand and express the intensity of our need. Persistence in prayer helps us recognize God's work."
Then I read on to verse 9, and it was the 'ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened' verse. It was God answering my question. He told me that I needed to ask him for these friends' freedom from their chains, and he told me to do it with persistence, boldness.
I prayed and prayed for a while, and then went to pick up my Bible; but I didn't have a bookmark! I searched in my nightstand and finally found one. When I pulled it out, all I could do was laugh, and praise, and thank God. Guess what Bible verse was on it??
Matthew 7:7. The same verse as Luke 11:9--
Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.
wow. My God amazes me.

I hope He just amazed you. I hope that encouraged you. I hope He burned in me and you just witnessed His intensity.
Happy Wednesday, everyone!





(photo credit: here)

No comments: