Friday, February 18, 2011

alters.

hello everyone. :)
i just thought id share with you some things ive been meditating on in the Word lately.

Genesis 20:22-26
especially the end of verse 24:
"Build my alter wherever I cause my name to be remembered, and I will come to you and bless you."

a couple of things stand out:
1) we are to build his alter wherever he causes his name to be remembered. it's all about him in this verse. alters are not testimonies for how I was rescued or how God saved me in a certain situation, but, simply, how God rescued or God saved.
2)He will come. I'm reminded of a famous line from the movie Field of Dreams: "If you build it, they will come." Only here, it's God who will come. Can you imagine?!? God will come!
3) He will come to you and bless you. Because you built his alter, for him.


I'm not quite sure why these verses are standing out to me. But if you are a believer, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on them!
Something else that got me on this passage, was that it was sectioned off in my Bible with a title of "Proper Use of Alters." I guess, then, it's possible (and probable) that we misuse them??
This passage was written right after Moses got done reading off the Ten Commandments. In verse 23, I noticed that God repeated himself to Moses when he said, "Remember, you must not make any idols of silver or gold to rival me." (v. 4) It sort of hit me anew how jealous our God is, that he was say twice that we are to have no idols that "rival him"
rival- competitor

what is competing with God in your life??
just some thoughts. :) nothing profound.



anywho, 360 degree turn:
how has your week been?? it's finally the weekend!! ive actually been fairly busy, with softball, school, writing class, babysitting, etc. It's been good though. I like to keep busy. :)
I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! get out and enjoy some of this weather! ;)

love you all!

No comments: