Thursday, March 17, 2011

tell me more!

the other day I babysat G&M and we had the best time! It was the sweetest thing when I got the opportunity to talk about Jesus with Giulianna (who's 4). I don't even remember how we got on the subject, but we talked about him, and how he was God's son. She even knew about how Jesus calmed the storms with the disciples! I was impressed. So, taking the chance, I started to tell her the story of how Jesus healed the blind man. She really got into because I acted it out for her. :) After I was done, she said, "Tell me another story about Jesus!" So I told her another one! After that one, she said, "Tell me more about Jesus!"
WOW!

It was so sweet and amazing to see the look of excitement on her face when Jesus would come in and save the day in all those stories. She was soaking it all up, and it was so refreshing to see.
It makes me think, when was the last time I read through some of the miracles Jesus performed and was dumbfounded at the awesomeness of them?? I think it's been a while, and that's partly because I've been reading a lot of Old Testament lately. But it's important to remember that all the miracles Jesus performed are impossible for us. So when we read how the blind man could see again, that should make our jaw drop! But, usually it doesn't. And, in turn, when miraculous things happen in our world today, we're just in awe. It doesn't have to be that way though. I know that with God, all things are possible, and we carry the name of Jesus with us. We can do anything, according to his will, in his name. I believe that.
But do I really believe that??
I say yes, but when the time comes for me to pray for some one's healing, do I really know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that God will heal that person??
The Bible says that if I have faith as small as a mustard seed I can move mountains.

I've never moved a mountain in my life.


I've never tried.


I think the first step in increasing your faith, is reading the Gospels again, and realizing just how impossible the miracles were. Then maybe read through the books Paul wrote and see how, even after Christ had ascended, miracles were STILL being performed!
Then we need to pray that God would increase our faith, all while remembering the miracles he performed while he walked the earth.

After I told Giulianna every Bible story I could recall that had Jesus in it, I asked her if she wanted to hear about Jonah, or David and Goliath, or something like that. She said, "No. That doesn't have Jesus in it."
How precious is that?!?
My prayer is that she keeps that heart all through her life. It's so much fun to think that one day she'll be grown, maybe married with kids, and living for God. Maybe doing missions work. Maybe being the wife of a pastor. Maybe just being a great mom, wife, and a great friend. Who knows what God's got planned for her??
I do know that God has already called her and is already changing her life.
It's so amazing to watch!

Well, I'm going to go read a miracle in Matthew now. :)
I love you all!
Happy St. Patty's! :)


p.s.-- on a funny note, Giulianna did love the story of Jonathan and the coat of many colors. ;)


No comments: